Start A Group
Start a Precept Bible Study group today to help others know God through His Word and live differently!
Here are some suggested steps to get you started:
1. Pray. You want to know that the Lord is calling you to start a group now and you’ll want direction from Him about which Bible study you should lead.
2. Begin to prepare for your class. Determine the study, the time and the place. (Download the sample lesson of the study you want to lead and let the leadership look at it. Sample lessons can be found in the online store under the description of the study. Example.)
2. Talk to the leadership in your church. Tell them which Bible study you would like to lead, why you believe God is calling you to do so at this time, and who you would like to invite. Precept works alongside the local church. If your church leadership is not in favour of you starting a group right now, wait on the Lord for Him to open the door.
4. Keep praying and promote your study. Use templates from our Leader Kit to spread the word through your church bulletin and begin to invite whomever the Spirit of God prompts you to invite. Don’t forget those closest to you, family, friends and co-workers. Post your group on our website to more people can join your study.
5. Order your study materials. Order workbooks for you and your students, leader guides and DVD or CD messages (if the study series has these companion resources).
6. Work through the first lesson of the study and prepare an orientation for your study that you will teach the first time your group meets. Watch these tutorial videos.
7. Visit our Leader Connect hub and subscribe. Here at Precept Canada we can support you, keep you up-to-date with the latest leader news and you can be encouraged by other Precept leaders across Canada. You can also keep in touch with leaders through our Facebook Group.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to attend leadership training before I can lead a small group?
Yes and No. If you feel that God wants you to lead a Precept Upon Precept Bible study group, the answer is “Yes”. You will need to attend How to Lead Precept Upon Precept Workshop either in person or online. If you are being led by God to teach any other of the inductive Bible study series that Precept publishes the answer is “No”. However, training is available to equip you to be a great Bible study discussion leader. Training Workshops are available online and in person across Canada.
How many students do I need to hold a class?
We refer to 3 or more people meeting together as a group. But there is nothing stopping you from doing an inductive Bible study one-on-one.
How many books should I order?
We recommend ordering about 20% more books than you have registrations. It can save you extra shipping costs for those last minute people. If you end up with too many books, our return policy allows you to send back extra books within 90 days as long as they haven’t been used or damaged.